From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mjo@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: empty directories in ${D}
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 17:00:58
1 W dniu czw, 29.03.2018 o godzinie 11∶34 -0500, użytkownik William Hubbs
2 napisał:
3 > On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 12:24:38PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > > On 03/29/2018 11:57 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > > >
6 > > > > The PMS says that empty directories are undefined, so the portage
7 > > > > behavior of installing them and leaving them alone leads to
8 > > > > incompatibilities. Ebuilds rely on the portage behavior, and if another
9 > > > > PM (within its rights) deletes them, then the package breaks with the
10 > > > > non-portage PM.
11 > > >
12 > > > Maybe so, but you just made the argument for doing nothing different in
13 > > > current eapis and proposing stripping empty directories in eapi 7.
14 > > > However, this should be stripping empty directories combined with
15 > > > failing the emerge.
16 > >
17 > > If we strip them only in EAPI=7, then that still leaves all of these
18 > > packages broken with respect to the PMS in the other EAPIs.
19 > >
20 > > Stripping the empty directories isn't my favorite approach, but leaving
21 > > things broken looks bad on paper too.
22 >
23 > If we are going to strip the empty directories, we should hard fail the
24 > emerge at the same time. Otherwise there is no way to know whether the
25 > package we successfully install will now run.
28 The developer is supposed to *look* at what the package installs.
29 If people just commit ebuilds based on 'Portage did not explode',
30 then maybe they shouldn't have commit access in the first place.
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny