From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 3's default src_install needs bikeshedding
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:51:35
1 On Monday 30 March 2009, Thomas Sachau wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh schrieb:
3 > > So far, we've got this, by agreement of the Council:
4 > >
5 > > * There will be a default src_install in EAPI 3
6 > > * It will have a DOCS variable, or something along those lines.
7 > >
8 > > I'd like to suggest the following too:
9 > >
10 > > * If DOCS is explicitly specified, it is an error if anything in it
11 > > doesn't exist.
12 > > * If DOCS isn't explicitly specified, it isn't an error if anything
13 > > in its default, if it has one, doesn't exist.
14 > >
15 > > We don't have an implementation yet. So I'll start off with this:
16 > >
17 > > default_src_install() {
18 > > emake -j1 DESTDIR="${D}" install
19 >
20 > Why do you want to force -j1 here?
21 >
22 > And i had this proposal some months ago, which noone argued against
23 > any more (the default list may of course be extended):
24 ...
25
26 What Ciaran added was a way to disable installation of default DOCS. The
27 implmenetation we discussed on the thread a while ago does not check
28 whether DOCS is declared but empty.
29 I believe the way the DOCS variable is handled in the first example of
30 the thread starter is good for a default_src_install although I don't
31 know if we really need arrays. But why not? :-)
34 > So what about this funcion for the next EAPI and also implementation
35 > in base.eclass?
36
37 Why would you want to implement it in base.eclass when it's in EAPI=3? I
38 can't think of a case where "inherit base" would make things easier
39 than bumping to EAPI=3. In both cases, you might need to change logic
40 within your ebuild and test it.
43 Robert