From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 15:11:56
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:11:45AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > You can't change the text of a license and call it the same thing,
6 >>
7 >> I'd think that the title of a legal document falls more under
8 >> trademark law than copyright law. That is why the FSF publishes the
9 >> "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE" and not just the "GENERAL PUBLIC
10 >> LICENSE." The former has far more trademark protection than the
11 >> latter.
12 >
13 > Do you see that term trademarked anywhere? I will go file for one if
14 > you really insist on it, but really, think this through please.
15
16 The term "GNU" is trademarked as far as I'm aware. Or, if not it
17 would probably be trademarkable in this context, since it is fairly
18 unique. The term "General Public License" seems rather, well,
19 general.
20
21 When your title for something is generic it is generally very
22 difficult to enforce a trademark against it.
23
24 If you called it the "Linux DCO" then you'd probably have a strong
25 recourse against anybody also using the term "Linux DCO" since Linux
26 is a strong mark (it is a word that Linus invented as far as I'm
27 aware).
28
29 Look at Microsoft's attempts to enforce trademarks against "windows"
30 for an example of why generic words don't make good marks.
33 >> > which
34 >> > is why that wording is there (same wording is in the GPL), so don't
35 >> > think that by pointing at the one in the kernel source tree that changes
36 >> > anything...
37 >>
38 >> The Linux Foundation published a version of their DCO under the GPL,
39 >> which we would of course abide by. The fact that they published it
40 >> elsewhere with a different license doesn't mean that we can't re-use
41 >> the version published under the GPL.
42 >
43 > How well does "plain text" work under the GPL? Go on, I've been down
44 > that path before, it's well-worn, we'll be here when you get back... :)
45
46 Well, whether the GPL is a good license for text is a separate matter,
47 but it is a license.
50 >> If we aren't changing anything that does raise the question of why not
51 >> just use the Linux DCO, v1.1 or whatever it is at, incorporated by
52 >> reference. I do think we have the legal right to fork it since it was
53 >> effectively published by the Linux Foundation under the GPL, but that
54 >> doesn't require us to fork it.
55 >
56 > Please just use the one as-published.
59 Seems like a logical approach.
62 Rich