From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 14:57:26
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:11:45AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > You can't change the text of a license and call it the same thing,
5 >
6 > So is the objection mainly to calling it a "Developer Certificate of Origin?"
7
8 That's one objection of mine, yes. The other being you can't just take
9 almost all of the original text and still call it the same thing, when
10 it obviously isn't, and the document says you can't do that :)
11
12 > I'd think that the title of a legal document falls more under
13 > trademark law than copyright law. That is why the FSF publishes the
14 > "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE" and not just the "GENERAL PUBLIC
15 > LICENSE." The former has far more trademark protection than the
16 > latter.
17
18 Do you see that term trademarked anywhere? I will go file for one if
19 you really insist on it, but really, think this through please.
20
21 > > which
22 > > is why that wording is there (same wording is in the GPL), so don't
23 > > think that by pointing at the one in the kernel source tree that changes
24 > > anything...
25 >
26 > The Linux Foundation published a version of their DCO under the GPL,
27 > which we would of course abide by. The fact that they published it
28 > elsewhere with a different license doesn't mean that we can't re-use
29 > the version published under the GPL.
30
31 How well does "plain text" work under the GPL? Go on, I've been down
32 that path before, it's well-worn, we'll be here when you get back... :)
33
34 > If we aren't changing anything that does raise the question of why not
35 > just use the Linux DCO, v1.1 or whatever it is at, incorporated by
36 > reference. I do think we have the legal right to fork it since it was
37 > effectively published by the Linux Foundation under the GPL, but that
38 > doesn't require us to fork it.
39
40 Please just use the one as-published.
41
42 thanks,
43
44 greg k-h