From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 14:11:55
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > You can't change the text of a license and call it the same thing,
4
5 So is the objection mainly to calling it a "Developer Certificate of Origin?"
6
7 I'd think that the title of a legal document falls more under
8 trademark law than copyright law. That is why the FSF publishes the
9 "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE" and not just the "GENERAL PUBLIC
10 LICENSE." The former has far more trademark protection than the
11 latter.
12
13 > which
14 > is why that wording is there (same wording is in the GPL), so don't
15 > think that by pointing at the one in the kernel source tree that changes
16 > anything...
17
18 The Linux Foundation published a version of their DCO under the GPL,
19 which we would of course abide by. The fact that they published it
20 elsewhere with a different license doesn't mean that we can't re-use
21 the version published under the GPL.
22
23 If the FSF published the GPL under the GPL then people would be free
24 to redistribute modified versions of it as well. I don't think they
25 would disagree with that.
26
27 > And I would _strongly_ not recomment changing the wording without
28 > consulting with a license lawyer, you can mess things up really quickly
29 > by changing stuff.
30
31 No argument there. I don't think we're actually changing anything at
32 the moment.
33
34 If we aren't changing anything that does raise the question of why not
35 just use the Linux DCO, v1.1 or whatever it is at, incorporated by
36 reference. I do think we have the legal right to fork it since it was
37 effectively published by the Linux Foundation under the GPL, but that
38 doesn't require us to fork it.
41 Rich