From: matt c <matt@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>, Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:27:03
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Chris Gianelloni" <wolf31o2@g.o>
3 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
6 >vim is only available outside of chroot. It is not in the stages, and
7 >isn't available while in chroot. Personally, I HATE nano, but I think
8 >if we're going to have an editor on the CD by default, we should pick
9 >one and stick with it rather than trying to meet the needs of every
10 >user's desire. After all, what's next? "I hate nano and vim, someone
11 >put emacs on the Live CD."
12 >
13 >I honestly think we need to differentiate the "install" CD from the
14 >"Live" CD. The installation CD should be as minimal as possible and
15 >able to fit on other media easily (such as USB pen drives).
16
17 This is a good point. Here is a "my personal experience" story, ending with
18 . When I first installed linux many moons ago (don't remember the distro) vi
19 was the only editor available on this distro. I never bothered to learn vi.
20 I installed gentoo over a year ago - nano was a very self-explanatory text
21 editor, and it "got the job done". I've learned basic vi editing in the
22 meantime, but nano is great for new users. When I needed to edit a file, I
23 ended up botching the file more often than not with vi (as I didn't know the
24 commands or movements.) IMO, Nano is much simpler and intuitive *for non-vi
25 folk* - and the editor in use should be the same both inside and outside of
26 the stage chroot (it just Makes Sense).
27
28 Matt
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list