From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Glep 55 use case: moving slot to file name
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 18:56:28
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Icedtea has two release tracks. One for the 1.7 OpenJDK code base and
3 > one for the 1.6 code base. They have independent version numbering so
4 > they can have collisions. By moving the slot to the file name we could
5 > have icedtea-1.2:1.6.ebuildN and icedtea-1.2:1.7.ebuildN. This
6 > particular situation can be worked around of course but it might also
7 > be better to keep the slot in the file name any way because I often
8 > find myself needing to know the slot of an ebuild (adjutrix -k of
9 > course already does this for me quite nicely).
10 >
11 > Regards,
12 > Petteri
13 >
14 What's wrong with icedtea17-1.2 and icedtea16-1.2, because if its two
15 different code bases that come up with two different tarballs that could
16 be versioned differently or same that is the definition of a different
17 package.