From: William Hubbs <w.hubbs@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing /srv into Gentoo Linux
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:59:43
1 On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:17:17AM +0000, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On Feb 4, 2004, at 11:44 pm, Stuart Herbert wrote:
4 >
5 > >On Wednesday 04 February 2004 1:37 am, Jon Portnoy wrote:
6 > >>What does /srv give us that /var doesn't?
7 > >...
8 > >I don't think that this is an example of the FHS doing against the way
9 > >that
10 > >UNIX works - just going against the current habits on many Linux users.
11 >
12 > Indeed. As Linux's use of /mnt/subdirectories went against the
13 > conventions of Unix sysadmins a decade ago.
14 > But at that time lots of workstations didn't have a single
15 > removable-media drive - imagine having separate additional /floppy
16 > /cd-writer /dvd-rom /zip in root.
17 >
18 > >From what's been said so far, I think we should introduce the /srv
19 > >hierarchy.
20 >
21 > One vote from just a user.
22
23 Add another vote from a user. I haven't really read the fhs that much, but it seems to me that /var is _machine_ specific data, and /srv would be _daemon_ specific or _service_ specific data. That separation makes sense to me. :-)
24
25 William
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list