From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing /srv into Gentoo Linux
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 02:17:26
1 On Feb 4, 2004, at 11:44 pm, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 04 February 2004 1:37 am, Jon Portnoy wrote:
4 >> What does /srv give us that /var doesn't?
5 > ...
6 > I don't think that this is an example of the FHS doing against the way
7 > that
8 > UNIX works - just going against the current habits on many Linux users.
9
10 Indeed. As Linux's use of /mnt/subdirectories went against the
11 conventions of Unix sysadmins a decade ago.
12 But at that time lots of workstations didn't have a single
13 removable-media drive - imagine having separate additional /floppy
14 /cd-writer /dvd-rom /zip in root.
15
16 > From what's been said so far, I think we should introduce the /srv
17 > hierarchy.
18
19 One vote from just a user.
20