From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing /srv into Gentoo Linux
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:50:14
1 On Wednesday 04 February 2004 1:37 am, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > What does /srv give us that /var doesn't?
3
4 Shrugs. Personally, I find it more convenient to mount /srv on a nice raid
5 array - or another large disk - and leave /var on the root filesystem or a
6 device that's local to the machine. And - as Robin's explained better than I
7 can - this approach really makes life easier on networked clustered machines.
8
9 I don't think that this is an example of the FHS doing against the way that
10 UNIX works - just going against the current habits on many Linux users. We
11 didn't call it /srv back then, but when I first started out as a system
12 administrator in the early nineties, when UNIX machines were normally
13 workstations clusted via NFS and NIS with a central server, I was taught to
14 do something very similiar.
15
16 It reminds me of how the hostname convention has changed over the last ten
17 years. Originally, hostname was just the hostname. Then the hostname
18 changed to be the fully qualified domain name. And now it's gone back to
19 being just the hostname ;-)
20
21 From what's been said so far, I think we should introduce the /srv hierarchy.
22 If we do, we should also agree on a mechanism for introducing new directories
23 under here, just so that there are no unfortunate clashes. And there would
24 need to be a migration/communication strategy to let our users understand
25 what we've done and what it would mean for them.
26
27 Does it need to go through the next manager's meeting? I can't attend these
28 meetings so if this is the process, I need someone to help with that. Or
29 should this be handled another way?
30
31 Best regards,
32 Stu
33 --
34 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
35 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
36 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
37 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
38
39 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
40 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list