From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please follow keywording policy
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:38:56
1 On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 09:38 +0200, Alin Nastac wrote:
2 > I think the reason people drop arches is laziness of some arch herds.
3 > C'mon people, how hard can it be to see if it builds right on your arch?
4
5 What arch do you use? Maybe we should trade in your box for a nice
6 sparc32 or mips box and see what you have to say then. Remember that in
7 many of these arches, all the machines are still measured in Megahertz
8 and not Gigahertz, and they are quite old.
9
10 The arch teams are doing their jobs quite well, don't try to push blame
11 onto them. They shouldn't go around marking something stable just
12 because it builds and should test it. If they have no way of testing
13 it, then they don't need to stabilize it. It won't kill you to have a
14 single older ebuild in the tree for an arch. Either that, or you can
15 remove the keywords, as Jason mentioned, and file a bug against the
16 package to the mips team so they are aware that keywords have been
17 dropped from the package and that it will need testing to be
18 re-keyworded. Looking over that bug, it really looks like you flipped
19 out over nothing. It took them a week to respond. That isn't very
20 long, at all.
21
22 > Jason Wever wrote:
23 >
24 > >Hi All,
25 > >
26 > >I'd like to ask that you all take the time to review the keywording
27 > >policy in the Developer Handbook. In particular, I'd like to draw
28 > >your attention to the section on "Upgrading Ebuilds" [1].
29 > >
30 > >People have been getting good lately at either dropping keywords for
31 > >no reason and/or failing to notify or file a bug with the arches
32 > >dropped as to why. Chances are if you have done this for SPARC, you've
33 > >probably heard from me already. If not, GenBot is on his way to your
34 > >location as we speak ;)
35 > >
36 > >Now back to your regularly scheduled hack-fu...
37 > >
38 > >[1] -
39 > >http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=5#doc_chap5
40 > >