From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why aren't GSoC projects affecting ::gentoo discussed on regular mls?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 15:43:15
1 On 2019-06-27 04:16, Benda Xu wrote:
2
3 > Michał, you were overreacting to the word "GSoC" since our original RFC
4 > at gentoo-dev. Please, just ignore GSoC when you are executing your
5 > experise of QA. Gentoo should be developed independently, regardless of
6 > whether any development effort is supported by 3rd party.
7 [...]
8 > Personally I don't regard the GSoC selection and decision process
9 > interesting to all the Gentoo devs.
10
11 In my opinion Michał has got a very good point regarding potential PR
12 consequences of us rejecting GSoC work. Of course it can be done, I've
13 seen my share of student projects of various sort getting binned
14 immediately after implementation - but more often than not it shows a
15 lack of of foresight, at best, on behalf of institutions which requested
16 manpower for such projects. Yes, it is good for you to have eventually
17 brought this to -dev - but IMHO it really is too late. In the future, I
18 would STRONGLY advise having a general discussion before having even a
19 single line of code written.
22 MS