From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why aren't GSoC projects affecting ::gentoo discussed on regular mls?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 16:49:25
1 Hi Marek,
2
3 Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o> writes:
4
5 > On 2019-06-27 04:16, Benda Xu wrote:
6 >
7 >> Michał, you were overreacting to the word "GSoC" since our original RFC
8 >> at gentoo-dev. Please, just ignore GSoC when you are executing your
9 >> experise of QA. Gentoo should be developed independently, regardless of
10 >> whether any development effort is supported by 3rd party.
11 > [...]
12 >> Personally I don't regard the GSoC selection and decision process
13 >> interesting to all the Gentoo devs.
14 >
15 > In my opinion Michał has got a very good point regarding potential PR
16 > consequences of us rejecting GSoC work.
17
18 I agree with you.
19
20 > Of course it can be done, I've seen my share of student projects of
21 > various sort getting binned immediately after implementation - but
22 > more often than not it shows a lack of of foresight, at best, on
23 > behalf of institutions which requested manpower for such projects.
24
25 Agreed, too. It is the mentor's duty to facilitate a win-win outcome to
26 our student, Gentoo and Google, by being more careful on visions and
27 planning.
28
29 > Yes, it is good for you to have eventually brought this to -dev - but
30 > IMHO it really is too late. In the future, I would STRONGLY advise
31 > having a general discussion before having even a single line of code
32 > written.
33
34 In retrospect, I was overconfident about my technical judgement. I will
35 take your advice. Thank you, Marek.
36
37 Yours,
38 Benda