From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 07:12:49
1 On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:54:44AM +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:33:17AM +0000 or thereabouts, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 09:09:29PM -0400, Luis F. Araujo wrote:
4 > > > What is the problem of giving them @g.o addresses?
5 > >
6 > > read the first meeting where GLEP 41 was covered ...
7 >
8 > If I'm understanding it correctly, the concern was that by giving folks
9 > "real" gentoo.org addresses if they were "only" doing arch testing, there
10 > would be no incentive for them to contribute any more than that.
11
12 not really ... more like handing out @gentoo.org addresses to people
13 was becoming a gimmick. i'm quite proud to have a @gentoo.org e-mail
14 and dont really like the idea of trivializing it.
15
16 > * There are a lot of Gentoo devs right now with full gentoo.org addresses
17 > who don't do squat for this project, so exactly what bar are we holding
18 > these arch testers to?
19
20 this is why we have been retiring people. if a Gentoo dev is useless,
21 then lets go with iggy's GLEP and vote the worthless cruft off the
22 island.
23
24 being a 'full dev' implies you can be held accountable and are
25 required to fulfill a significant amount of responsibility. AT's dont
26 generally want that level of commitment. i'm not saying that what
27 they contribute is meaningless (they have a useful role in the Gentoo
28 project), just that i'd like to think that i, and other 'full devs',
29 take it to the next level.
30
31 uNF
32 -mike