From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optimizations
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:32:41
1 Rayiner Hashem wrote:
2 >
3 > First off, great distro. It needs more documentation, and some of the
4 > builds don't work,
5
6 The build listed in current-packages.new should all work. If you see a
7 newer version that is not listed in current-packages.new you can
8 consider it being in development/testing.
12 but overall, it is *very* cool.
13 >
14 > I just have a couple of questions. First, what optimizations are used
15 > in compiling the latest (RC4_pre2 I think) distribution?
16 Previous we used -mpentium and i686 as ARCH. But that caused trouble
17 on K6 prozessors so we decided to use i484 and -m486 for rc4_pre2.
18 rc4 final will be available for different targets.
19
20 achim~
21
22 I read the
23 > article about the development of Gentoo and at the end you said that
24 > you would use -mpentium -O2 optimizations. However, the make.defaults
25 > uses the -m486 optimizations. I would just like some clarification on
26 > which one was used to build the distro. Also, I was wondering if one
27 > could automatically recompile the distro using -mpentiumpro
28 > optimizations, something along the lines of BSD's make World. Thanks
29 > for your time,
30 > Rayiner Hashem.
33 > gentoo-dev mailing list
34 > gentoo-dev@g.o