From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tests
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 16:08:31
1 On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 15:08 +0200, Piotr Jaroszyński wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > There was some discussion about forcing/not forcing tests in EAPI-1, but there
5 > was clearly no compromise. Imho, tests are very important and thus I want to
6 > discuss them a little more, but in more sensible fashion.
7 >
8 > Firstly each test can be(not all categories are mutually exclusive):
9 > - not existant
10 > - non-functional
11 > - not runnable from ebuild
12 > - useful but unreasonable resource-wise
13 > - useful and reasonable resource-wise
14 > - necessary
15 > - known to partially fail but with a way of skipping failing tests
16 > - known to partially fail but with no easy way of skipping failing tests
17 > Is that list comprehensive?
18 >
19 > Secondly we must answer the question how precisely we want to distinguish
20 > them, so users/dev can choose which categories of tests they want to run.
21 > What comes to mind is:
22 > - run all tests
23 > - run only necessary tests
24 > - run only reasonable tests
25 > - don't run tests at all
26 > Again, is that list comprehensive?
29 Don't forget tests that have heavy requirements to run. Many gnome
30 tests, for example, need a virtual X to run, which puts a new set of
31 DEPENDS requirements on your system.
32
33 Daniel
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list