From: Alec Joseph Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Thoughts on the whole gentoo future discussion
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 19:20:06
1 Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > The following are just my opinions/summaries:
5 >
6 > 1) It appears that the most dissatisfied devs are those
7 > who have been proponents of the "enterprise" aspect
8 > of gentoo. When they say that not much has been
9 > accomplished in the last 2 years, I think you have to
10 > look at it from the enterprise point of view. GLEP19
11 > never got anywhere. Other than small improvements,
12 > I'm not sure anything positive has happened. If anything,
13 > Gentoo appears to be heading more in the "desktop"
14 > and "hobbyist" direction. That might be what they mean
15 > when they say gentoo is becoming irrelevant.
16
17 And who is responsible for making those "enterprise" aspects of Gentoo a
18 reality? If you can't sell your idea to the other developers then you
19 are stuck doing all the work yourself, and I think part of that is just
20 how things are.
21
22 I make references to Portage because that is the team with which I am
23 intimately familiar. Including Enhancement requests that are marked
24 RESOLVED LATER due to them being completely out of scope for the current
25 codebase we have ~360 open bugs. At least when I look at those bugs I
26 try to order by triviality first, then by interest, and when the insane
27 moments strike me, by importance. Granted, I am not a Gentoo Portage
28 Developer, but I attempt to help out when I can. If you need something
29 and it's trivial, or I find the concept interesting or fun I'll probably
30 try it out, most likely right then, but if it's something difficult,
31 especially something that would just be a huge PITA to do with the 2.0
32 codebase, then it probably won't get done anytime soon.
33
34 So are you going to blame me for not implementing the stuff you want?
35 Is it my fault that I'm not properly motivated to implement your features?
36
37 You can't blame the whole community for not implementing what you want,
38 since the responsibility for getting it done is essentially your own.
39
40 That being said, I haven't heard any noise recently about GLEP 19.
41 Maybe I'm in the wrong channels? Perhaps you need to reshape and
42 resubmit the GLEP. Part of having the community work with you is
43 letting the community mold your idea. I enjoyed the whole emerge news
44 GLEP ( although Ciaran seems to dislike my mails ;) ) because I knew in
45 the end we would have a well rounded GLEP that suits everyone.
46
47 Alec Warner (antarus)
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list