From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Multislot dependencies
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:46:23
1 On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:41:17 +0200
2 Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > > := only makes sense when something is both a DEPEND and an RDEPEND.
4 > > Actual behaviour, for Paludis, is that it rewrites := deps to :=blah
5 > > when writing to VDB any time it can, and leaves anything it can't
6 > > as := deps. Verifying sanity of := use is left to developers and
7 > > the QA tool.
8 >
9 > ... and the spec.
10
11 The spec's well defined. It just tells you how := works, not how to use
12 it in a sensible manner. Pretty much the same as for everything else.
13
14 > > The only sensible thing you can do with multiple matches on := slots
15 > > (and ||=, if that route is taken) is to take the slot of the best
16 > > matching installed version, and require that ebuilds do that too. In
17 > > real world cases, this works just fine.
18 > >
19 > so, ebuilds should use best_version instead of has_version for
20 > example. That's what I meant and what I miss in the kdebuild-1
21 > spec :-)
22
23 Generally, it "just works", because packages are usually fairly good at
24 picking up the best installed version themselves anyway. But yes, if
25 you have to pass a version manually to a package, best_version is the
26 way to do it.
27
28 And no, that's not something that should be in the spec. The devmanual,
29 perhaps, although there's no kdebuild stuff in there just now.
32 Ciaran McCreesh