From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:37:35
1 On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:55:27 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Ryan Hill wrote:
5 > > So every user will have a different _preN version which would vary
6 > > depending on how often they rebuild the package and that has
7 > > absolutely no correlation with the revision number of the upstream
8 > > codebase. I'm sorry, but that's unacceptable. :/
9 >
10 > You'd like to have the cflags and ldflags embedded in the name for
11 > the same reason?
12
13 There's no need to set up a strawman. I expect that everyone
14 installing a version of a package is building from the same sources.
15 Do you really not see a problem here?
16
17 Okay, taking a different approach, what does an auto-incrementing
18 suffix gain us? The ability to auto-merge a live ebuild at regular
19 intervals? That's something that can easily be achieved without
20 mucking about mangling CPVs, in any implementation we decide on. What
21 is it about your particular idea that makes it worth the numerous
22 disadvantages that we've pointed out?
23
24 > > If a user reports a bug in package-1.1_pre6, how do you determine
25 > > what revision he has installed? How can you even tell it's an scm
26 > > ebuild?
27 >
28 > You can. The generated ebuild must have a reference to the checkout.
29
30 This is the first time you've mentioned this. Where would you find
31 such information? How would you know that the ebuild the user is using
32 is a generated ebuild, and not just a standard ebuild that happens to
33 end in _pre6? How would that information get into the ebuild? Would
34 it have to come from the various VCS eclasses? What about those that
35 don't have a way of getting at the revision number (like say
36 cvs.eclass)? Would it have to be placed there by the package manager?
37 If so, then we're back to having to implement support for every VCS
38 inside the PM.
39
40 > > If I want to report a bug I find to upstream, how to I know what
41 > > revision I have? Yes there are hacks like ESCM_LOGDIR, but they're
42 > > different for every SCM and you have to opt-in to use them. Most
43 > > people don't even know about them.
44 >
45 > The generated ebuild contains pretty much everything you need to fill
46 > a bugreport.
47
48 Could you please provide an example of a generated ebuild so we can see
49 what kinds of info it contains?
53 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
54 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
55 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662