From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:55:54
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > So every user will have a different _preN version which would vary
3 > depending on how often they rebuild the package and that has absolutely
4 > no correlation with the revision number of the upstream codebase. I'm
5 > sorry, but that's unacceptable. :/
6
7 You'd like to have the cflags and ldflags embedded in the name for the
8 same reason?
9
10 > If a user reports a bug in package-1.1_pre6, how do you determine what
11 > revision he has installed? How can you even tell it's an scm ebuild?
12
13 You can. The generated ebuild must have a reference to the checkout.
14
15 > If I want to report a bug I find to upstream, how to I know what
16 > revision I have? Yes there are hacks like ESCM_LOGDIR, but they're
17 > different for every SCM and you have to opt-in to use them. Most
18 > people don't even know about them.
19
20 The generated ebuild contains pretty much everything you need to fill a
21 bugreport.
22
23 lu
27 Luca Barbato