From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Trustless Infrastructure
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 22:45:39
1 On 07/02/2018 10:16 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu pon, 02.07.2018 o godzinie 17∶36 +0200, użytkownik Jason A.
3 > Donenfeld napisał:
4 >> Hey guys,
5 >>
6 >> While our infrastructure team has some nice technical competence, the
7 >> recent disaster and ongoing embarrassing aftermath has made ever more
8 >> urgent the need to have end-to-end signatures between developers and
9 >> users. While the infrastructure team seems fairly impressive at
10 >> deploying services and keeping the house running smoothly, I'd rather
11 >> we don't place additional burden on them to do everything they're
12 >> doing securely. Specifically, I'd like to ensure that 100% of Gentoo's
13 >> infrastructure can be hacked, yet not backdoor a single witting user
14 >> of the portage tree. Right now, as it stands, rsync distributes
15 >> signatures to users that are derived from some
16 >> infrastructure-controlled keys, not from the developers themselves.
17 >>
18 >> Proposal:
19 >> - Sign every file in the portage tree so that it has a corresponding
20 >> .asc. Repoman will need support for this.
21 >> - Ensure the naming scheme of portage files is sufficiently strict, so
22 >> that renaming or re-parenting signed files doesn't result in RCE. [*]
23 >> - Distribute said .asc files with rsync per usual.
26 > Another problem: how do you prevent attacks based on removing files?
27 > For example, let's say a MITM that removes new version of some packages
28 > and related GLSAs in order to force the user to stay at vulnerable
29 > version.
32 right, just to point out, this is already covered in the metamanifest
33 signing scheme, but wouldn't be in a separate file signing mechanism.
36 Kristian Fiskerstrand
37 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
38 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3