From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo and Root CAs
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 03:09:50
1 On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin@××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 >>> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc <at> gentoo.org> wrote:
5 >>> > Speaking of which, say what you will about Mozilla's broken criteria
6 >>> > for root inclusion, but Mozilla has no commercial interests,
7 >>>
8 >>> Wait, what? How does taking income during a process not constitute a
9 >>> commercial interest?
10 >>
11 >> There seems to be some confusion about Mozilla's cert inclusion process. Mozilla
12 >> does not make any money by including CA certificates. Per its own policy [1],
13 >> "We will not charge any fees to have a CA's certificate(s) distributed with our
14 >> software products."
15 >>
16 >> [1] https://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/policy/InclusionPolicy.html
17 >
18 > Fair enough. I took Rich's email as an indication they did.
19
20 To be trusted by Mozilla you do indeed need to pay substantial sums of
21 money (in almost all cases), but you don't actually pay them to
22 Mozilla. Typically you pay them to an auditor who specializes in such
23 things, such as webtrust. The fact that they don't even publish their
24 fees tells you all you need to know - I've heard they are in the
25 neighborhood of $10k.
26
27 My concern is that the approach chosen by Mozilla (and most other
28 software distributions produced by large corporations) is mostly about
29 having lots of paperwork and audting, and is not about actual
30 security. If a certificate authority has a pile of paperwork saying
31 they operate one way, it won't stop them from issuing certificates to
32 the NSA or whoever if they get a national security letter, or the
33 equivalent in one of the 400 other jurisdictions that these companies
34 reside in (many of which make the Patriot Act seem quite tame).
35
36 And that is just considering cases where the CA cooperates with legal
37 authorities. Factor in incompetence and just about anything can
38 happen. Incompetence happens in industries that have heavy government
39 scrutiny, such as in pharmaceuticals and aircraft maintenance.
40 Certificate authorities are almost completely unregulated in
41 comparison.
42
43 Basically the whole system is one big CYA maneuver. DNSSEC is far
44 more promising as a certificate distribution system, and the legacy
45 SSL system really is just standing in the way.
46
47 Rich