From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:47:13
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 >> Richard Freeman wrote:
3 >>> I'm
4 >>> actually hard pressed to think of any unix-based software that uses
5 >>> the filename to store a mandatory file format versioning specifier
6 >>> of some kind.
7 >
8 > $ ls /usr/lib
11 I was referring to a file FORMAT versioning scheme - not a file CONTENT
12 versioning scheme. The formats of all the files in /usr/lib are
13 generally identical. Where they vary it has nothing to do with their
14 filenames. The reason for the version in the filenames is that the
15 content is versioned.
16
17 The dynamic linker doesn't need to consult the filename to figure out
18 how to parse a shared object. It only consults the filename to figure
19 out which shared object is needed. That is actually analogous to
20 putting the package name/version in the ebuild filename.
21
22 In any case, I'm not trying to say that these issues absolutely prevent
23 the adoption of GLEP 55. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and
24 keeps nagging at me that there must be a better way.
25
26 I'd rather see the number of filename variations be kept to a minimum.
27 Sure, if we were talking about a one-time change from ebuild to ebuild2
28 and in five years a change to ebuild3 then that would be one thing. It
29 seems like we could be up to ebuild-kde4-3.2 in six months.
30
31 And I don't mean to suggest that I don't think that efforts would be
32 made to keep things sensible. It just seems like once we start down
33 that road it will be hard to turn around if we don't like where we end up.