From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:21:15
1 On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:43:09 -0700
2 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Richard Freeman wrote:
5 > > I still don't see why we need to be encoding metadata in filenames.
6 > > PERL doesn't care what a file extension is, python doesn't care,
7 > > bzip2 doesn't care, tar doesn't care, gzip doesn't care, and even
8 > > ld-linux.so doesn't care. I'm sure that in at least some of these
9 > > cases they end up parsing parts of the file twice - once to figure
10 > > out what it is, and the second time to actually handle it. I'm
11 > > actually hard pressed to think of any unix-based software that uses
12 > > the filename to store a mandatory file format versioning specifier
13 > > of some kind.
14
15 $ ls /usr/lib
16
17 > I have to admit I'm in the same camp with Richard, and don't
18 > understand the necessity. I'm also opposed to creating arbitrary
19 > suffixes to the ebuild extension, for cosmetic and compatibility
20 > reasons.
21 >
22 > Plus, I don't really grasp the whole "we have to source the whole
23 > ebuild to know the EAPI version" argument. It's one variable, in one
24 > line. Can't a simple parser get that and go from there?
25
26 Not really. Let's play Guess the EAPI. :o
27
28 1.
29 -----
30 EAPI=1
31 ----
32
33 2. (with myeclass.eclass containing EAPI=2)
34 -----
35 EAPI=1
36 inherit myeclass
37 -----
38
39 3. (with myeclass.eclass containing EAPI=2)
40 -----
41 EAPI=5
42 inherit myeclass
43 -----
46 1. 1 (simple enough)
47 2. 2 (because myeclass.eclass sets EAPI=2)
48 3. 5 (inherit was changed in EAPI 5 to not overwrite ${EAPI} if
49 already set in an ebuild)
50
51 So you see, it's not as easy as a grep command. You need to source the
52 ebuild to know how things like inherit will affect the environment.
53 And without knowing the EAPI, you don't know which version of inherit to
54 call.
55
56 (i hope i have this right. feel free to call me names if i don't)
60 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
61 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
62 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662