From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:51:16
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:43:09 -0700
3 > Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Richard Freeman wrote:
6 >>> I still don't see why we need to be encoding metadata in filenames.
7 >>> PERL doesn't care what a file extension is, python doesn't care,
8 >>> bzip2 doesn't care, tar doesn't care, gzip doesn't care, and even
9 >>> ld-linux.so doesn't care. I'm sure that in at least some of these
10 >>> cases they end up parsing parts of the file twice - once to figure
11 >>> out what it is, and the second time to actually handle it. I'm
12 >>> actually hard pressed to think of any unix-based software that uses
13 >>> the filename to store a mandatory file format versioning specifier
14 >>> of some kind.
15 >
16 > $ ls /usr/lib
17
18 ldconfig ?
19
20 >> I have to admit I'm in the same camp with Richard, and don't
21 >> understand the necessity. I'm also opposed to creating arbitrary
22 >> suffixes to the ebuild extension, for cosmetic and compatibility
23 >> reasons.
24 >>
25 >> Plus, I don't really grasp the whole "we have to source the whole
26 >> ebuild to know the EAPI version" argument. It's one variable, in one
27 >> line. Can't a simple parser get that and go from there?
28 >
29 > Not really. Let's play Guess the EAPI. :o
30 >
31 > 1.
32 > -----
33 > EAPI=1
34 > ----
35 >
36 > 2. (with myeclass.eclass containing EAPI=2)
37 > -----
38 > EAPI=1
39 > inherit myeclass
40
41 Invalid
42
43 > -----
44 >
45 > 3. (with myeclass.eclass containing EAPI=2)
46 > -----
47 > EAPI=5
48 > inherit myeclass
49
50 Invalid
51
52 > So you see, it's not as easy as a grep command. You need to source the
53 > ebuild to know how things like inherit will affect the environment.
54 > And without knowing the EAPI, you don't know which version of inherit to
55 > call.
56
57 It it isn't invalid already...
60 > (i hope i have this right. feel free to call me names if i don't)
61
62 Names!
63
64 lu