From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is Gentoo dying?
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:48:39
1 On 2010.04.03 15:59, Tobias Scherbaum wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, den 03.04.2010, 15:40 +0100 schrieb Roy Bamford:
3 > > First, we need some metrics - the first step to controlling
4 > anything
5 > is
6 > > to measure it.
7 >
8 > So, how do you want to measure those metrics? I for one can't think
9 > of a useful algorithm which helps to identify understaffed or
10 > orphaned areas.
11 > Sure, one might take a look at the number of packages compared with
12 > open
13 > bugs for example - but in the end that still won't give you some
14 > useful
15 > metrics.
16
17 It doesn't much matter what we measure as long as it related to what we
18 want to control and that we do not change the metric. That way the
19 metrics remain useful.
20
21 Open bugs per package and mean age of bugs per package come to mind.
22 Such per package metrics can be aggregated per herd, per project, the
23 whole of Gentoo or whatever.
24
25 A reducing mean age of bugs and open bugs shows we are moving in the
26 right direction.
27
28 I'm sure many other metrics are possible.
32 > If someone has a feeling somewhere helping hands are missing or an
33 > area
34 > is orphaned - that's the best "metrics" we can get.
35
36 Feelings?
37 The problem with feelings is that they keep changing
38
39 Let me remind you of this Carl Sagan quote ...
40
41 I'm often asked the question, "Do you think there is extraterrestrial
42 intelligence?" I give the standard arguments -- there are a lot of
43 places out there, and use the word *billions*, and so on. And then I
44 say it would be astonishing to me if there weren't extraterrestrial
45 intelligence, but of course there is as yet no compelling evidence for
46 it. And then I'm asked, "Yeah, but what do you really think?" I say, "I
47 just told you what I really think." "Yeah, but what's your gut
48 feeling?" But I try not to think with my gut. Really, it's okay to
49 reserve judgment until the evidence is in. - Carl Sagan, The Burden Of
50 Skepticism, The Skeptical Inquirer, Vol. 12, Fall 87
51
52 The important bit being "it's okay to reserve judgment until the
53 evidence is in".
57 > - Tobias
58 >
59 > --