From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] punting the use.defaults feature
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:04:11
1 18.11.2005, 16:43:12, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > i see no reason to keep use.defaults around anymore, i think the rest of our
4 > config/profile system covers for it adequately and in a manner that doesnt
5 > confused people
6
7 Also, IIRC, saner alternatives have been suggested, like IUSE="+bleh" to enable
8 a use flag by default on a per-ebuild basis; use.defaults is something well
9 hidden from users, and USE flags automagically appearing/disappering after
10 emerge sync/installing an ebuild cause a lot of confusion.
11
12 >> - why has a mass of things been commited in there recently
13
14 > because they belong there
15
16 and break things/confuse people? What exactly is the benefit from this? Sorry,
17 I've apparently missed something, since I can't see much sense in committing
18 something just because it "belongs there"... Did not notice any call for adding
19 all that stuff either; actually - it's been done after someone requested to
20 remove one particular thing from use.defaults.
21
22 >> - confusing users
23
24 > the file has always confused people, whether they be user or dev
25
26 One more reason to get rid of it... :)
27
28 >> - rendering /etc/portage/package.keywords useless (install a dep for one
29 >> particular ebuild and enjoy the USE flag enabled globally)
30
31 > unrelated
32
33 Well, I don't think so... If I want to enable a feature for one specific ebuild
34 and a USE flag in /etc/portage/package.use pulls in a dep, that in turn enables
35 that use flag globally, it's obviously not what I intended and forces me to add
36 yet another -flag into make.conf
37
38 >> - causing unwanted results (I did not really install app-text/recode for the
39 >> purpose of enabling USE=recode globally and make it clash with half of php USE
40 >> flags e.g.)
41 >> - causing pointless breakage/bailing out in current ebuilds for users that have
42 >> not touched USE flags on their system at all
43
44 > you're confusing "feature" with "bug" ;)
45
46 I actually consider this feature to be a bug... :=)
50 jakub