From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per-package default USE flags
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:30:34
1 On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 08:22:01PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:09:32 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | On Sunday 15 October 2006 14:16, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 02:09:58 -0400 Mike Frysinger
6 > | > <vapier@g.o>
7 > | > | what are you talking about ? the point of having per-package
8 > | > | defaults is so that you can enable a flag by default in one
9 > | > | package only
10 > | >
11 > | > package != ebuild.
12 > | >
13 > | > | to take the oss example, we would want to remove that from our
14 > | > | profiles and only enable it by default on say libsdl
15 > | >
16 > | > That's removing it from one place and adding it to five others.
17 > |
18 > | ... and you can have different default USE for some versions so if a
19 > | feature changes between them, you can easily control it
20 >
21 > Which is very much not the normal case, so it's not worth requiring
22 > five times as much duplication just for the occasional time when it is
23 > necessary.
24
25 Ebuilds already have a boatload of duplication; bit of a red herring
26 however complaining about a single char in IUSE to indicate a flag
27 defaults to on (seriously, you're bitching about 5 chars of wasted
28 space for a single flag forced on, switch to a better arguement).
29
30 ~harring