From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for September
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:56:09
1 On Thursday 11 September 2008, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:43:54 -0700
3 >
4 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
5 > > [2] http://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/eapi/eapi-2-draft.html
6 >
7 > By table 6.11, are you implying that you consider the new pkg_ phase
8 > order to be part of EAPI 2?
9 >
10 > Really, Portage needs to revert the order and go back to the way it
11 > used to be for all EAPIs. The change breaks lots of existing ebuilds
12 > (you claim you've probably fixed everything in ::gentoo, but you
13 > don't know that and you've definitely not fixed overlays), including
14 > ebuilds using a common documented technique recommended by the
15 > devmanual.
16 >
17 > If you want the new pkg_* ordering to go through at all, it really
18 > needs a lengthy discussion on its own and it mustn't apply to any
19 > action that involves any existing EAPI.
20 >
21 > I'd like the Council to say that for anything involving EAPIs 0, 1 or
22 > 2 we stick to the pkg_* phase ordering we've used years.
23
24 What is the change of order you witnessed in table 6.11 of the draft?
25 Comparing that to the PMS on [3], the order looks identical to me
26 (except for the two new phases). Am I missing something?
29 Robert
30
31 [3] http://dev.gentoo.org/~coldwind/pms.pdf Section 10.2