From: derosa <derosa@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] build CD boot swap problem
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:45:50
1 > After installing Gentoo from the build CD, several (meaning at least
2 > three so far) people are finding that, despite a valid fstab, the
3 > swap partition isn't being mounted at boot time, although "swapon -a"
4 > will mount the swap partition after the system is up. Polaris
5 > (on irc) suggests the fix of putting the devfs name in fstab
6 > (instead of /dev/hdax). I've installed Gentoo rc5 both from
7 > the i686 and the build CDs now, and I only had the swap problem
8 > w/ the build CD. Anybody have an idea what's going on?
9
10 I just did a full build of everything, including the latest build file (july
11 something) then followed by an emerge system, followed by building X, and
12 most of KDE apps and other KDE stuff, cups alsa sox (I think that's it) and
13 I did not have a problem with swap. I do get oops on the mount and unmount
14 during startup and shutdown though. Maybe things would work better having
15 devfs automounted with the kernel command line option ??
16
17 Target system is a dual coppermine 933 using an IDE drive for the boot and
18 swap partitions (hda1 and hda2 respectivly) with the rest of linux on a scsi
19 drive (sdb7 through sdb11) the drivers for ide and the ncr controller are
20 built into the kernel, everything else that can be a module (or most of it
21 ...) is a module.
22
23 Joe