From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new glep draft: Portage as a secondary package manager
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:19:29
1 On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:05:20 +0200 Michael Haubenwallner
2 <michael.haubenwallner@×××××××.at> wrote:
3 | Most of the packages (not ebuilds) wont work on systems without
4 | /bin/sh (Bourne-Shell, not bash) and /usr/bin/env, so there's no need
5 | to have a Bourne-Shell installed in /my/prefix/bin/sh instead of
6 | /bin/sh.
7
8 So what if /bin/sh is a nastily h0rked non-POSIX implementation? Or what
9 if we have packages with a dep upon a specific sh version? The portage
10 provided version must be used in all cases.
11
12 | Once this is done, this line will find the portage-installed
13 | interpreters:
14 | #! /usr/bin/env {bash,perl,python,whatever}
15
16 No good, because we won't be using the portage-provided env binary. And
17 that only works for things that actually use env (which is considered
18 discouraged).
19
20 | autoconf-checks: i configure gcc '--with-local-prefix=/my/prefix' in
21 | case of prefix!=/usr, so gcc searches in
22 | "/my/prefix/lib:/usr/lib:/lib" for libraries by default, and the
23 | checks should rely on the compiler to find the right libraries when
24 | configuring.
25
26 I could dig out a rather large list of annoying counterexamples, all of
27 which would need manual fixing...
30 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
31 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
32 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm