From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] gentoo-x86 migration to repo-per-package
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 09:13:49
1 On 06-08-2011 20:55:05 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 04:13:52PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > In this email, I step away from the current model that Gentoo uses for
4 > > the gentoo-x86 repository. Instead, I consider a repo-per-package
5 > > model, as in use by e.g. Fedora [1] and Debian [2].
6 > Everything you have mentioned here was previously covered in the
7 > discussions about Git conversion models. Please consult the history of
8 > this list, as well as the -scm list. Additionally, a large discussion
9 > about the pros and cons of all 3 models (package per repo, category per
10 > repo, single repo) was had at the GSoC mentor summit last year, and a
11 > number of the core Git developers were involved in the discussion.
12
13 I see now my previous search wasn't complete. Please correct me if I'm
14 wrong, but I have the impression the previous discussions looked at
15 repo-per-package just from a storage point of view, not from a
16 functional point of view. The git overhead for repo-per-package is
17 admittedly quite undesirable.
18
19 > Problems:
20 > - atomic/well-ordered commits that span packages, eclasses and profiles/
21 > directories. (Esp. committing to eclasses and then packages
22 > afterwards).
23
24 This can be done with a single commit to the rsync tree script, and it
25 doesn't necessarily need git repos.
29 Fabian Groffen
30 Gentoo on a different level