From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 18:14:19
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 27/01/17 20:37, Patrick McLean wrote:
5 > I don't think we need to have stable UIDs/GIDs in the "normal" case
6 > of standalone users with a single Gentoo system at home. The people
7 > who need predictable UIDs/GIDs are the "enterprise" users or the
8 > home users who use things such as NFS. I work for a company that
9 > uses Gentoo, we have a bunch of workarounds to make sure that UIDs
10 > and GIDs are stable. To make something to solve our problem (and I
11 > suspect everyone else who cares about this), it would be sufficient
12 > to have a mechanism to override the default random assignment with
13 > a fixed UID/GID. Possibly some file in /etc/portage or in the
14 > profile (or both) that allows one to configure what UID/GID a user
15 > will get when the user is being created. One advantage of this is
16 > that user.eclass could be modified to support it, so we don't have
17 > to wait for a new EAPI before taking advantage of it.
21 Having a file that user.eclass would use to map new users/groups to
22 IDs would be extremely beneficial to me. I was thinking about diving
23 in to that some time later, after the GLEP 70 work I'm doing, but if
24 someone else wants to take it - please! That would greatly ease the
25 pain of not only NFS, but swapping data disks around between different /
26 .
27
28 Consider, for example, one of my use cases for this: I have a
29 LibreSSL / that I use solely for testing ebuilds against it, and my
30 regular / with OpenSSL. I share /home and /srv between these two, but
31 the apache, nginx, and charybdis users have different UIDs between
32 them. Therefore I have to chown -R each time I test LibreSSL.
33
34 I could use a different /home and /srv, or make two copies, but it's
35 much easier for me to test these apps having my entire normal
36 environment available to me.
37
38 Best,
39 - --arw