From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation (was: Project Sunrise resumed)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:29:57
1 On Monday 31 July 2006 04:28, Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > I do not see why it is considdered hard for users to "get involved".
3 > Users have at least two choices that I can think of right now, and
4 > probably a number that I cannot think of.
5 >
6 > 1) Users can submit patches/ideas to bugs.g.o at whatever frequency
7 > they desire, contributing to gentoo casually.
8
9 And the patch hanging in bugzilla forever because no-one wants to maintain it.
10 Sunrise could help here, by accepting properly written ebuilds that do
11 however not get maintenance. Sunrise should not really be about replacing
12 current ebuilds, but offering some support for those packages that are useful
13 for some, but that do not have enough usage that a developer wants to put it
14 into the tree.
17 > 2) Users can take the quizzes and become a developer, I do not see why
18 > two quizzes is considdered an insurmountable task, the quizzes are
19 > specifically designed to ensure that people writing ebuilds understand
20 > what ebuilds can contain and what they cannot, I could not imagine a
21 > user wanting to install a package from an ebuild written by someone
22 > that does not know this.
23
24 They first need to be invited to start the whole process.
25
26 Paul
29 Paul de Vrieze
30 Gentoo Developer