From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: app-text/cuneiform
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:38:23
1 On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > I find the become-a-dev threshold significant so yes, something stops it..
6 So, my personal feeling is that /some/ packages get pulled a little
7 earlier than strictly necessary. However, the fact is that when a
8 package gets treecleaned it is a symptom of a bigger problem. Could
9 some packages stay in the tree an extra six months? That's debatable.
10 However, it doesn't really change the fact that in almost all of
11 these cases something is bound to break for good sooner or later if
12 things don't change.
13
14 In this particular case upstream is the main problem - it needs to
15 exist for starters (it looks like there is some interest in making
16 this move forward, but C++ expertise or not the maintainer needs to at
17 least start committing some of the known patches after testing them).
18
19 The only thing I've really done for cuneiform is buy it time. I'll
20 give it best-effort and will genuinely try to fix bugs where able, but
21 it isn't like I get paid to use this package in my day job. The mask
22 takes some of the edge off of the potential security concerns, but
23 sooner or later if upstream doesn't start moving forward they're going
24 to get stuck on some outdated version of some dependency and lead to
25 more serious QA violations. If people really care about packages they
26 have to do something about it. That's basically how FOSS works - you
27 get all this software for free, but it doesn't mean that it was
28 without cost to create it, and for the most part when things break you
29 get to keep the pieces.
30
31 If your goal is to have more packages in the tree then simply delaying
32 the inevitable won't really accomplish that.
33
34 Rich