From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: app-text/cuneiform
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:52:37
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > something is bound to break for good sooner or later if things don't change.
3
4 Certainly.
5
6 But consider the chain of events:
7
8 * user is happily using outdated, but working, software without
9 knowing how behind the times upstream really is, because it works
10 * gentoo masks and removes package
11
12 That looks bad.
13
14 Masking is a quite invasive UX. It makes a package unavailable by
15 default *before* the package actually stops working.
16
17 Users who want to fix the problem need to get involved upstream,
18 there is no disagreement about that, but users who have already
19 gotten a package masked by the powers that be are vastly less
20 motivated to do so, because the package has already been masked.
21
22 Masking communicates that a decision to treeclean has been made.
23
24 Masking is not at all communicating an opportunity to address the
25 perceived problems. That should be done in a different way.
26
27 A per-ebuild bug metric would be cool. A kind of health indicator
28 for individual ebuilds, alerting users when some of our installed
29 ebuilds go yellow, so that we have perhaps on the order of six
30 months before the package goes red, at which point it would be fine
31 to mask at will. Does that make sense? (Obviously how many months
32 yellow is depends on what else happens in the tree. It's a ballpark
33 figure.)
36 //Peter