From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] possible additional tag for GLEP66: Pending
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 14:47:48
1 Hi,
2
3 Jaco Kroon wrote:
4 > Specifically, what I suggest is to flag the PR that fixes the issues
5 > (ie, ebuild bump) with the usual Bug: tag, but to then at the same time
6 > be able to pre-emptively file a PR removing the vulnerable versions, but
7 > only once the security bug has been handled (closed).
8 >
9 > Towards this end, I'd suggest a tag such as:
10 >
11 > Pending: https://bugs.gentoo.org/NNNNNN — to reference a bug; the bug
12 > needs to be closed before this PR will be considered for merging.
13
14 No, this is not really needed and will make everything more complicated.
15
16 Keep in mind that you never know what happens:
17
18 - It's possible that the initial bump wasn't enough.
19
20 - Maybe during stabilization process we will uncover the need for
21 an additional patch.
22
23 - It's possible that keywords will change during the process.
24
25 - It's still possible that the ebuild(s) which will be cleaned up
26 as part of the process changes before cleanup will happen.
27
28 - It's possible that the process hasn't finished before a new
29 security bug for same package was created (superseded).
30
31 But if you have created the follow ups in advance,
32
33 - this will clutter things up
34
35 - you will have to adjust things all the time
36
37 - and any additional fix up will create new notifications,
38 comments... someone has to check
39
40 - proxy-maintainer would have to spend time for review twice
41 because something could have changed between creation of
42 follow up PR and time when the PR will get merged
43
44 And like you said, current CI would be unable to test these follow up
45 PRs before new ebuild was marked stable or CI would report a lot of
46 NonsolvableDepsInStable problems. Sure, you could delay or re-trigger
47 check once stabilization has happened but I really see no benefits in
48 doing anything of that in advance if the chance is high that you have to
49 spend the same amount of time again before you can finally merge.
53 Regards,
54 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Security Team
55 fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5