From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kde 3.2 beta2
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:55:27
1 On Wednesday 28 July 2004 11:39 am, suka wrote:
2 > I strongly oppose this, I don't think it is a good idea to introduce
3 > development versions of such big packages, this could create all sorts
4 > of problems. For instance beta1 of kde 3.3 broke the openoffice-ximian
5 > compile with kde support because of a bug in kdelibs, and no matter how
6 > stable the beta might be for you, it might create lots of problems for
7 > the rest of us. (and the users who run unstable).
8
9 Which is why alpha1 and beta1 were package.masked.
10
11 I completely fail to understand why it being in package.mask or not has any
12 bearing on life.  If you run into instability problems, they should be
13 reported, and you should cease to use that version if necessary.  Up until
14 now, all I've heard are success stories, with the occassional "hey, this
15 doesn't work".
16
17 Installing the 3.3 version does NOT uninstall 3.2, so continuing to use what
18 is stable for you is still feasible.
19
20 > Also if I recall correctly the usual policy is that unstable is NOT for
21 > development versions but for the testing of stable versions. At least
22 > for libs which other packages depend on I totally agree with this. Users
23 > who want to try out development versions should also be able to edit
24 > package.mask
25
26 From my standpoint, this version is stable.  There needs to be fixes to the
27 ebuilds yet, and there are still bugs in the 3.3 version no doubt.  But
28 again, I see no evidence that makes me think this package truly needs to be
29 masked.
30
31 This is the exact same procedure I went through with 3.2 - the difference is
32 that I waited until _rc1 to take kde out of package mask as the beta had too
33 many bugs in it (in my opinion).  That doesn't seem to be the case with this
34 version.
35
36 If anyone still has a problem with this, please file a bug report listing the
37 problem areas that are creeping up, or contact me offlist.
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list