From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed shift of files in the tree of non profiles files into seperate dir
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:25:59
1 On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:17:39AM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 08/27/05 Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Straight to the point, I'm proposing that the following files-
4 > > arch.list
5 > > categories
6 > > use.desc
7 > > use.local.desc
8 > > package.mask
9 > > updates
10 > >
11 > > be moved out of the profiles directory in the tree, and into the
12 > > existing metadata directory personally, due to the fact that the
13 > > files above are essentially repository metadata. Why move them *now*
14 > > when they've been around forever?
15 >
16 > [snip]
17 >
18 > Don't mind moving them, BUT
19 > - metadata is a stupid location for them for several reasons
20 being?
21 metadata already holds global repository information, time of
22 repositories generation, pregenerated cache, glsa set...
23 It holds global metadata for the repository.
24
25 > - don't really like adding more cruft to the regen script
26 Agreed. That said, users bitching when the don't upgrade their tools,
27 and said tools start breaking isn't fun.
28
29 > - why move them now and then move/redesgin them again when someone
30 > finally makes a sane profiles design (yeah, I've talked about that for
31 > months now :-/)
32 Anyone after redesigning profiles has their hands full. Do this
33 change now, profile redesign isn't burdened with dealing with this
34 mess. This change over as indicated in other postings to this thread
35 also would prepare for allowing full capabilities to standalone
36 repositories, rather then coming up with a hack that pulls the data
37 from profiles.
38
39 The change over can be done pretty cleanly, and organizes stuff as it
40 should be, in preparation of upcoming tweaks/capabilities/whatever.
41
42 I'd rather nip this now, rather then when it starts creating problems
43 down the line.
44 ~harring