From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] root:root and fbsd
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 09:06:25
1 On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:49:39 +0200 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò"
2 <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
3 | So I was wondering for a solution for this problem: we have a
4 | $USERLAND variable which can be used to select the way the chown must
5 | be done, if chown root:root or chown root:wheel; I think both BSD and
6 | Darwin userland prefers root:wheel above root:root, so maybe adding a
7 | function in eutils which fixes the permissions based on the current
8 | $USERLAND value is enough...
9
10 get_root_group() {
11 if use userland_bsd ; then
12 echo "wheel"
13 else
14 echo "root"
15 fi
16 }
17
18 maybe?
19
20 The other option is to do a sneaky chown wrapper that automatically
21 detects that kind of thing. I'm against that on general principle
22 because it'll break too often.
23
24 I'll unofficial-document whatever's decided upon, anyway.
27 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
28 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
29 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm