From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please stay on-topic.
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 23:18:42
1 On Friday, December 9, 2016 5:06:14 PM EST Gordon Pettey wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:36 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > > Java on Gentoo is really not bad, if you are familiar with Java at all.
6 >
7 > It's actually quite insane "if you're familiar with Java at all"...
8
9 I have been coding in Java since 1.3, going back to 2001 I think.
10
11 > Building C and C++ from source is great. 51% of dev-java category is doing
12 > pointless work.
13
14 In what sense? What source/target are pre-compiled jars?
15
16 That same thing could be said for perl, python, ruby, and likely others on
17 Gentoo. However they tend to be the same, they have no source/target like
18 Java.
19
20 > 401 ebuilds only have IUSE="doc source" which can almost
21 > always be fetched from Maven Central
22
23 Fetched in another step, this allows it to exist locally. But many are moving
24 to Gradle. Maven is a bit old school now, one step beyond ant.
25
26 > , and 44 ebuilds have no USE flags at all.
27
28 They may be upstream -bins, Sun had a fair amount with no source release.
29 Could be the doc/source were omitted on accident or purpose.
30
31 > That's just from simple grep results. Given the ugly majority there, I
32 > don't doubt there's some silliness going on in the remaining 49%. Building
33 > Java from source to get the exact same jar file every time on a million
34 > machines when you could just fetch the upstream jar instead is plain stupid.
35
36 Really is it the exact same jar? You know what changing source/target does
37 right?. Which Gentoo does have some issues there, as it does not use older
38 rt.jar when using targets < current JVM version.
39
40 https://blogs.oracle.com/darcy/entry/bootclasspath_older_source
41
42 Not all jars are the same, not all Java binaries are the same. Tossing a 1.7
43 jar into a 1.8 JVM does not really give you any 1.8 benefits. It will run as if
44 it was 1.7 in a 1.8 JVM for example.
47 William L. Thomson Jr.