From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>, gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dist name...
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 07:30:07
1 On Wednesday 07 August 2002 07:00 am, Fredrik Jagenheim wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 12:49:00AM +0200, Spider wrote:
3 > > Now, making this the holy war that we are ungrateful bastards who steal
4 > > the hard work from the GNU foundation and use it to promote our own
5 > > selfish selves ... ermh.
6 > >
7 > > should we perhaps place the gratitude to all developers directly there
8 > > as well? hmm...
9 >
10 > I just witnessed this flamewar on another mailinglist, and one of the
11 > better comments about this whole mess was that it's quite interesting
12 > that RMS demands that GNU is used in the name, while refusing to give
13 > credits to the BSD people:
14 > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html
15
16 First, I think people should call their Linux (GNU/Linux) systems whatever
17 they like (which is why I am a proponent of dual naming the distro to put the
18 argument behind us once and for all), but the argument you cite is misleading
19 and just plain wrong.
20
21 The argument the FSF had with the advertising clause of the old BSD license
22 has absolutely nothing to do with their REQUEST (not demand) that people
23 refer to Linux as GNU/Linux, their problem was the INCOMPATABILITY that
24 clause created with other free licenses (not just the GPL), limiting the
25 reusability of the BSD code.
26
27 You'll notice that there is no clause in the GPL requiring the use of the
28 prefix "GNU," nor is there ever likely to be one (and if there ever is, I'll
29 join you as one of the loudest critics of such a move).
30
31 After a great deal of discussion and debate (I waded through several old
32 USENET threads on the subject at google after reading your post) the BSD
33 folks agreed, and changed their license accordingly.
34
35 This has nothing, whatsoever, to do with their request to prefix Linux with
36 GNU. The fact remains that the core operating system consists of the kernel,
37 some basic libraries, a shell, and some basic command line utilities. For
38 nearly the entire 12 years Linux has been around, over 90% of this code has
39 been GNU code. Not BSD code (as the argument seems to imply, particuarly to
40 anyone who doesn't follow the link and actually read it).
41
42 RMSes request really isn't that unreasonable, particularly if you set aside
43 your dislike of the guy long enough to read (or listen, many of his speeches
44 are available as mp3 or ogg files online) WHY he makes that request (hint: it
45 isn't self aggrandizement).
46
47 Now, yes, we can retroactively replace all GNU tools with their BSD
48 equivelents, if in order to ignore RMSes request that is what we have to do
49 to feel comfortable with that decision, but frankly that is a rather asinine
50 approach to take (and wasteful to boot ... most of the GNU tools are handier
51 to use than their BSD equivelents, and one of the first things I do on a
52 FreeBSD box is install the GNU toolsets). Furthermore, retrofiting a Linux
53 installation to not use GNU components doesn't change the fact in the least
54 that, for the first 12 years of the project it was mostly GNU software that
55 made up the core of what is the UNIX-like operating system we call Linux.
56
57 As I've said before, I find this entire debate somewhat silly ... people
58 should call it whatever they are comfortable calling it, and people on both
59 sides of the argument make valid points to support their point of view.
60
61 The argument you cite, however, isn't one of them, nor is the "most software
62 on my system is third party user software like KDE, so I should just call it
63 KDE." You don't call your windows operating system your "Office 2000" system
64 do you, or your "Word Perfect" system (if you're a lawyer still using that
65 software).
66
67 Spiders argument is actually one of two cognizant one's I've seen in this
68 thread ... until he starts going off on a tangent about other third party,
69 non-core operating system applications on his Gentoo system.
70
71 Python IS a core part of the Gentoo distribution (you can't install gentoo
72 without it) ... so his point about not calling it Python/GNU/Linux is the
73 first time I've seen the "but I've got other third party software on my
74 system" argument used where it ACTUALLY make sense, but only as it is limited
75 to Python.
76
77 The other good argument is that 'Linux' IS just shorthand for GNU/Linux, a
78 stance that is imminently compatible with my 'dual naming convention'
79 proposal.
80
81 In any event, Gentoo is just that, Gentoo. Whether you call it Gentoo
82 GNU/Linux or Gentoo Linux is up to you (I usually forget and call it the
83 latter, even though I try to remember and toss the GNU in on occasion, out of
84 respect for RMS), but please don't propogate erroneous arguments like the one
85 you just cited.
86
87 I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Linux, and Free Software in
88 general, is about software freedom and software excellence. We should IMHO
89 promote both of these concepts as much as possible, and to my way of thinking
90 having two official names, one respecting RMSes wishes and one respecting the
91 wishes of the opposing camp, and letting people use whichever one they are
92 most comfortable with, seems to be the best compromise one can make that
93 actually promotes this freedom of choice.
94
95 It is interesting to note the RMS even stated, explicitly, in a speech he gave
96 at the University of Chicago, that people are FREE to disregard his request
97 to prefix Linux with GNU when talking about the entire distribution, and that
98 he is more concerned with promoting and defending that freedom than he is
99 with the GNU prefix itself (though it is exactly the promotion of those
100 ideals that is behind his request in the first place ... there are enough
101 levels of irony in all this to amuse anyone I think).
102
103 In any event, I for one am pleased to see that this discussion has not
104 degenerated to a flame war, despite people's obvious strong feelings on the
105 matter on both sides. The level of courtesy and respect I've seen maintained
106 here, even when discussing heated issues like this one, is one of the things
107 I find really pleasant about the gentoo community.
108
109 Jean.