From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dist name...
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 07:00:53
1 On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 12:49:00AM +0200, Spider wrote:
2 >
3 > Now, making this the holy war that we are ungrateful bastards who steal
4 > the hard work from the GNU foundation and use it to promote our own
5 > selfish selves ... ermh.
6 >
7 > should we perhaps place the gratitude to all developers directly there
8 > as well? hmm...
9
10 I just witnessed this flamewar on another mailinglist, and one of the
11 better comments about this whole mess was that it's quite interesting
12 that RMS demands that GNU is used in the name, while refusing to give
13 credits to the BSD people:
14 http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html
15
16 My personal opinions? It may be GNU tools, but the barebones are
17 Linux. I may not call Windows 'KRNL32.DLL', but I don't call it
18 'Visual C++' either. Perhaps the answer to what I'm running on this
19 machine is neither 'GNU/Linux' or 'Linux', but 'KDE'.
20
21 //Humming, trying to avoid bringing a can of gasoline to the flames.