From: Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] combining x86 and amd64
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:00:34
1 On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 17:41 -0400, Luis F. Araujo wrote:
2 > Stephen P. Becker wrote:
3 >
4 > >> Is it just me, it seems that only sparc/mips devs want that kind of
5 > >> change and non none of the x86/amd64 devs...
6 > >> I still dont see what practical advantage that would bring to x86/amd64
7 > >> users or developers?
10 > > If you haven't figured out the reason we are pushing for this sort of
11 > > thing yet, it is because x86 is unsupported in Gentoo (if you consider
12 > > what all the other arches have to do to be "supported"). As a result,
13 > > it causes the quality of the portage tree to suffer.
14 >
15 > You are saying that the quality of x86 stuff in the tree is worse than
16 > the other arches?
17 >
18 I belive that's a reality. For example on AMD64 devs and AT's tested the
19 new 2005.1 livecd and stages for long time. On our team we found bugs on
20 packages (missing deps or patches) and we also test the packages with
21 the help of our AT's. At this moment i belive that x86 really misses the
22 arch team (hopefully it's in formation) to help test, improve QA and
23 also take care of security issues for example.
24 --
25 Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
26 http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod
27 Gentoo Linux Developer: AMD64,Printing,Media-Optical
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list