From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:48:20
1 On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 12:34 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > > > what catalyst should do is just before cleaning up the stage3 root and
3 > > > packing it up is run `rsync -a /etc/skel/ /root/`
4 > >
5 > > It definitely should not. One of my primary motivations with catalyst
6 > > is to ensure that the users get *exactly* what would be provided by the
7 > > profiles/packages. We don't add extra files into the stages and likely
8 > > never will. Doing something like this in catalyst would create an
9 > > inconsistency between doing a stage3 install and any previous stage
10 > > installs. Yes, we don't support stage1 anymore, but we still support
11 > > stage1 users once their systems are up and running. Having them
12 > > inconsistent only causes one more area where we have to do extra
13 > > troubleshooting to determine the cause.
14 >
15 > not really ... someone installing by hand and someone taking a default setup
16 > are different things. we know that someone taking a stage3 has never
17 > configured anything before and so we can safely put defaults into /root/. we
18 > have no idea what people have done when they run emerge themselves. that is
19 > why only putting this into catalyst makes sense.
20
21 I'll respectfully disagree and say again that I won't add anything like
22 this to catalyst for the reasons mentioned above. I see no reason why
23 we cannot provide sensible defaults in stages lower than three,
24 especially since I want to see everything in ebuild code.
25
26 Also, my plan for this would be add the copying of the .bash* files
27 from /etc/skel if and only if USE=build *and* the files do not already
28 exist, done during pkg_preinst/pkg_postinst somewhere. This will pull
29 it into the stage1 tarball, making it available to everyone on all
30 further stages, it keeps it from being done every time someone emerges
31 bash, it doesn't stomp on existing files, and it doesn't show up in VDB
32 linked to the bash package. Is this acceptable?
33
34 > > Well, it depends on whether we're interested in getting all of /etc/skel
35 > > or just the .bash* files. About the only thing I would see useful as
36 > > "defaults" is the .bash* stuff and a .ssh directory. I do agree that
37 > > everything else should be left up to the user. If we decided what to
38 > > include and limited it, it shouldn't be a problem to do it via USE=build
39 > > at all.
40 >
41 > anything that is part of the system /etc/skel/ makes sense (iow, anything that
42 > is in /etc/skel/ at the end of stage3). the files from bash and the .ssh dir
43 > are the only things that go into /etc/skel/ right now for the default system.
44
45 OK. So we now know that only bash/openssh would be really important
46 here, and the .ssh directory really isn't much of a show-stopper, since
47 it isn't populated. I mention this only because we don't install
48 openssh until stage3, so there's no special USE flags in use at that
49 time. If we limited it to bash (and tcsh, etc. for non-Linux) using
50 USE=build, it would satisfy this request, one which I personally would
51 like to see done, and still not have to change a single line of code in
52 catalyst, which also respects my wishes. It doesn't stomp on user's
53 files. All in all, it seems like a safe enough solution to me.
56 Chris Gianelloni
57 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
58 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
59 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
60 Gentoo Foundation