From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pinkbyte@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package removal without proper last-riting
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:47:23
1 Dnia 2013-11-11, o godz. 13:38:56
2 Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > 11.11.2013 13:32, Manuel Rüger wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > I recently noticed it twice, that it seems to be common practice to
8 > > remove a package without using the methods described in [1], but just
9 > > dropping it from cvs.
10 > >
11 > > From my observations packages removed without last-rites could be
12 > > characterized by this:
13 > >
14 > > - it was a dependency of another package
15 > > - this package dropped / incorporated the dependency
16 > > - no other packages depend on it
17 > > - there are possible forks or updates, but maintainer doesn't care^W^W
18 > > has no interest
19 >
20 > +1, this should be documented IMO. I last-rite
21 > games-strategy/seven-kingdoms-data recently without sending notice,
22 > cause last versions of games-strategy/seven-kingdoms includes all of
23 > it's data.
24
25 How hard would it be to send proper last rites for that package and add
26 it to package.mask explaining the move?
27
28 Silent removals do us no good. The only valid reason to remove
29 a package without lastriting it is when it is package-moved with proper
30 'updates' entry. However, that won't work for package merges, so
31 the usual lastriting procedure applies.
32
33 Overlays are just one of the potential issues. Another issue is users
34 who ended up with that package in @world. If it were masked, they would
35 know why they need to remove it. Now, they will just get awful blockers.
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny