From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package removal without proper last-riting
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:39:45
1 11.11.2013 13:32, Manuel Rüger wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I recently noticed it twice, that it seems to be common practice to
5 > remove a package without using the methods described in [1], but just
6 > dropping it from cvs.
7 >
8 > From my observations packages removed without last-rites could be
9 > characterized by this:
10 >
11 > - it was a dependency of another package
12 > - this package dropped / incorporated the dependency
13 > - no other packages depend on it
14 > - there are possible forks or updates, but maintainer doesn't care^W^W
15 > has no interest
16
17 +1, this should be documented IMO. I last-rite
18 games-strategy/seven-kingdoms-data recently without sending notice,
19 cause last versions of games-strategy/seven-kingdoms includes all of
20 it's data.
21
22 > This might work for the main tree, but it won't for overlays, that might
23 > also depend on these packages (because they have a patched / older
24 > version of your maintained package).
25
26 We are trying not to break overlays, but we also can not guarantee full
27 support for them.
30 Best regards, Sergey Popov
31 Gentoo developer
32 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
33 Gentoo Qt project lead
34 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead