From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:35:44
1 On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:32:00 -0800
2 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Mark Loeser wrote:
5 > >>> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:06:12 -0800 Donnie Berkholz
6 > >>> <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
7 > >>> What's wrong with the original idea of just making any unported
8 > >>> ebuild pull in all of modular X (minus drivers)? Yes, it means
9 > >>> that some people will pick up unnecessary deps until all packages
10 > >>> are ported, but it avoids anyone having to see flashy red errors.
11 > >> The problem with that is that it removes all motivation to ever
12 > >> port the packages. They'll just stay that way forever, where
13 > >> forever means "until I threaten to remove that from the virtual,"
14 > >> in which case we'll be in the same scenario we are now. Why?
15 > >> Because people have better things to do than fix stuff that isn't
16 > >> broken.
17 > >
18 > > It'd be nice if you reconsidered this as it will minimize any
19 > > breakage that may occur. Knowing that >800 packages are broken,
20 > > and going to unmask it knowing that just doesn't seem acceptable in
21 > > my eyes. ~arch isn't meant to be "things are known to be broken."
22 > > It's meant to mean, we think all of this is ready to be stable,
23 > > which it certainly won't be in this case.
24 >
25 > No, it won't. It will just postpone the same breakage, as I said
26 > above. You haven't provided any logic or backup to your contrary
27 > statement, just said that somehow a large portion of the other 800
28 > will magically get ported.
29 >
30 > Let me break this down again: of that 800, about 250 are unmaintained
31 > packages according to metadata.xml or lack thereof. About 200 are
32 > games. About 150 more belong to largely inactive herds. That's
33 > roughly 600 that we already know will not get ported in a timely
34 > fashion, if left to their maintainers, all because of lack of
35 > manpower. What do you propose to deal with them? All I've heard
36 > besides mine is proposals that delay the same breakage, not actually
37 > get anything fixed.
38
39 How about delaying it as long as n packages are ported per day? Kinda
40 stupid idea, but it ensures that things won't get hold up due to
41 unmaintained packages/inactive devs and might even speed the process up
42 (that's an illusion probably).
43
44 Marius
49 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
50 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.