From: James Beddek <telans@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Un-slotting LLVM
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 02:01:12
1 On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 2:41:53 PM NZDT Sam James wrote:
2 > > On 8 Nov 2021, at 11:18, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > A few years back I've slotted LLVM and Clang to make the life with
5 > > revdeps easier. Long story short, every major LLVM release (which
6 > > happens twice a year) breaks API and it takes some time for revdeps to
7 > > adjust. Slotting made it possible to install multiple versions
8 > > simultaneously, and therefore let "faster" packages use newer LLVM
9 > > without being blocked by "slower" packages on the user's system.
10 > >
11 > > Unfortunately, this ended up pretty bothersome to maintain. Besides
12 > > making ebuilds quite complex (and prone to mistakes), I'm hearing more
13 > > and more reports of programs being broken through getting multiple LLVM
14 > > versions in the link chain.
15 >
16 > I think this might just be Blender and friends which are especially fragile.
17 >
18 > We may be able to get away with just coordinating those together.
19 >
20 > > WDYT?
21 >
22 > If we can help it, I'd really really prefer we don't. Being able to test
23 > various different various of Clang quickly (just like gcc) is really
24 > helpful.
27 I agree. Personally, it's allowed me to narrow down a few bugs in programs/
28 test suites which only occur with specific LLVM/Clang versions. While I could
29 just build the different versions locally, slotting in combination with
30 package.env really has made testing easier.
31
32 > (especially given one day, we might dare to dream of using Clang
33 > for the system toolchain. It becomes a lot easier to check for
34 > regressions if you can just flip the version.)
37 I'd love to see this one day :-)
38
39 > Best,
40 > sam