From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] per-package environment variables.
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:00:25
1 On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 08:42:57PM +0200, aye wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 08:59:11AM -0700, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > Your setup here could be better solved with portage recognizing groups
4 > > of packages - both predefined groups 'system' and custom groups.
5 > >
6 > > Eg you can replace everything with one line:
7 > > package-group/system low_c_flags
8 > >
9 > > And that would compile everything portage considers as system with the
10 > > environment from low_c_flags.
11 > >
12 > yep - it's also good idea, however i'd still have to declare 'system'
13 > class somewhere. the one used in profile isn't good for me (for example
14 > x11 is in profile), but you've ofcourse right - it would look nicer if i
15 > had just package-group/system and profile, which satisfy me.
16 Somebody else was ahead of us on it, but I don't know how much progress
17 was made on it:
18 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0021.html
19
20 Coredumb notes that USE flags for sets could prove a problem, and
21 unfortunately the same problem would effect this package.env proposal.
22 Namely, if you have two entries:
23 virtual-set/foo env1
24 virtual-set/bar env2
25 some-cat/foo env3
26
27 some-cat/foo is present is both sets.
28 If some-cat/foo is being merged directly, the settings from the sets
29 will be totally ignored - even if we could detect them, which one would
30 we use? There are a couple of other similar problem cases with sets and
31 any of the portage settings that might be applied per-package :-(.
34 Robin Hugh Johnson
35 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
36 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
37 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
38 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85